Time to escape the beaten path and experience a true mountain adventure. This is the trip you've been longing for.
An alternative to the crowded Inca Trail, the Choquecancha Trek is far from expected, ordinary, or overdone.
Our 4-day, 3-night Choquecancha Trek traverses lagoons, mountains, and archaeological sites, visiting the Andean community of Choquecancha and the Lares hot springs before making our way to Machu Pichu. Two nights in a tent is your chance to connect with Peru's enchanting Highlands and disconnect from everything else.
One of the highlights of this memorable trek is that you'll get to immerse yourself in the beautiful culture of a true Andean village.
Get up close and personal with Andean farmers as you learn ancient Incan farming techniques. Learn and participate in traditional music and dance. Try on stunning garments woven by the local women. As we teach you our community's history and feed you the delicious local fare, you'll begin to imagine what ancient Incan life was like.
Because of our relationship with Choquecancha village, True Mountain Traveler is the only tour operator who can give our travelers this interactive experience. The best physical journeys are also journeys of mind and soul, and we're proud to to share our home with you in this special way.
Choquecancha Trek 4D/3N – Overview:
- Visit lagoons, mountains, archaeological sites, the Andean village of Choquecancha, the Lares Hot Springs, and Machu Picchu.
- Interactive traditional Incan culture experience with farming, dancing, and more.
- Scenic alternative to the crowded Inca trail.
- History, culture, and a challenging adventure all in one.
- Trip length – 4 days, 3 nights. Includes 2 nights camping and 1 night hotel.
- Guided hiking from campsite to campsite.
2-3 Trekkers US$835 per person
4-6 Trekkers US$815 per person
7+Trekkers US$795 per person
Student Discount: US$20 (Requires ISIC Card to qualify)
Under 18's Discount: US$20
Sleeping Bag US$20
Walking Pole US$15
Inflatable air matts US$20
Hotel single room +US$35
Huayna Picchu permit US$25
- Early pick up at your hotel for the start of the Choquecancha Trek!
- Arrive to the village Amparaes - 3,600 meters elevation
- At Amparaes, you will meet the full team - your porters, the chef, the horsemen - and have breakfast
- We head southwest, following a trail that climbs. In about 3 hours, arrive at the Yanaccocha lagoon
- After another 2 hours, we reach the Quelwacchocha lagoon for lunch with a view - 4,400 meters elevation
- Continue west for a 3 hour hike descending to the Chullpata campsite - 3,800 meters elevation
- Warm up with some tea or coffee, replenish your energy with dinner, and stargaze before a restful sleep
- Early wake up from your porters who will greet you at your tent with hot coca tea
- Hike 4 hours west over the mountain Huanacari - 3,900 meters
- Visit the archaeological site of Jaukani - 3,590 meters elevation
- Lunch in Jaukani
- Continue west for 3 hours along an original Inca trail
- Arrive to Choquecancha, where you spend the night - 3,148 meters elevation
- After breakfast, we will visit a Choquecancha farm close by
- The time here will be filled with fun as you:
- Learn about Andean agriculture
- See how music and dance are incorporated into the fabric of Andean farming culture
- Drink chicha, learn the importance of the sacred drink, and learn proper Andean drinking etiquette
- Try on clothing weaved by local Choquecancha women
- Lunch featuring traditional Andean food
- We reach our destination, Lares town (3100mt/10170ft), then we enjoy the natural hot springs for 2 hours.
- After lunch in Lares we take our private transport to Ollantaytambo from and we catch the train to Aguas Calientes where we will check in at our hotel.
This is the day you've been waiting for. We wake up early to take a bus to the Lost City of the Incas, Machu Picchu.
Once there, you will have a 2 hours guided tour through these magical ruins. Afterwards, you'll have plenty of time on your own to enjoy the sweeping panoramic views.
Optional hike to: Huayna Picchu or machupicchu mountan ( limited to 400 hikers a day), sun gate, Inca bridge.
Lunch in Aguas Calientes before returning back to Cusco, where we will transfer you to your hotel.
If desired, a night in Aguas Calientes can be arranged.
- Trekking briefing the night before at your hotel with your trekking guide where your guide will overview the trek and provide the duffle bags which will be carried by our horses
- Pick up from your hotel
- Transfer in private transport to Amparaes ( trailhead )
- sleeping tents (we only put 2 in each tent) very spacious, large and comfortable with plenty of room to fit your trekking gear and your day packs
- Foam mats to put under your sleeping bag (carried by horses)
- Dining and cooking tents with tables and chairs (very confortable)
- English-speaking professional guide (2 guides for groups over 10 people)
- 3 meals per day, tea social/happy hour every afternoon, snacks every morning
- Portable private toilet tent
- First-aid kit including emergency oxygen tank
- Chef, cooking equipment and kitchen tent
- Porters, horsemen and horses (to carry tents, food, cooking equipment)
- Emergency horse in case anybody gets tired or wants to ride it just for a photo
- Drinking water every morning, lunch, happy hour, and dinner time and water for washing your feet and hands
- Expedition Tourist class train from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo in the Sacred Valley, then a private Van to transfer back to your hotel in Cusco
- Entrance to Machu Picchu Archaeological Complex
- Bus to/from Machu Picchu (roundtrip)
- 2 hour Private Guided tour of Machu Picchu with plenty of time to explore on your own
- Hotel in Aguas Calientes double or triple rooms, private bathrooms, hot showers, wifi, and storage while you visit Machu Picchu.
- Climb to the Sun Gate, inka bridge.
- 8 kg /17 lb luggage allowance to be carried by our horses (you will trek only with your day pack which is way more confortable than carrying a big bag!)
- We are a locally owned Peruvian company with the best adventure guides, professional chefz, and amazing porters and horsemen.
- We will create a the trip of a lifetime experience for you.
- Andean agriculture demostration
- Natural hot springs
- Local interact with the local kinds and comunity people.
- Taxes included
- Lunch on the last day
- Sleeping bag (this can be rented from the company for $25 for the entire trek)
- Walking sticks (this can be rented from the company $20 for the entire trek)
- Optional inflatable sleeping pad (7cm/3″) (you can rent from the company $20)
- Optional Huayna Picchu or machupichu mountain Climb ($25 per person)
- Original Passports and student cards (if applicable and booked as a student)
- Good backpack or daypack
- Good sleeping bag (can be rented from the company for $20)
- Hiking boots
- Walking sticks (can be rented from the company)
- Warm clothes (the temperature changes – you might experience 4 seasons all in one day)
- T-shirts (4), sun hat, 2 pairs of pants/trousers, gloves, 4 pairs of socks, rain jacket, warm jacket, extra layers
- Sunscreen and sunglasses
- Insect repellent (non malarial mosquitos)
- Rain poncho (you can buy this in Cusco or on the trek)
- Toiletries, toilet paper, wipes, hand sanitizer
- Bathing suit
- Sandals are recommended to get changed into the evenings
- Water bottle (it’s not necessary to bring water tablets)
- Personal medical kit
- Student card if you are student, you must scan it when you are booking
- Some plastic bags in the rainy season
- Waterproof gloves (important!)
- Toiletries: toilet paper, toothbrush, toothpaste, wipes, hand sanitazer
- Good trekking shoes as the trail is mudy and slippery in some sections